Our return from the Schaller / Mathiessen expedition was truly a majestic time for our team. Returning back to Dolpa for GS some 40 plus years later was amazing. During the trip we did repair the Ringmo Turbine and installed small solar power units for the Lama at Shey Gompa, and the Komas Primary School. The unfortunate news is that the snow from last winter was very little and the water levels are very low. Power output from the Ringmo and Pugmo power units are down. We plan to leave in May to upgrade the existing power unit at the Shree Siddarth Kula Primary School in Tinje and add a wind turbine at the Komas school.
Hartford High-school Students for Nepal 2.0 in picture above. Nepal 3.0 is underway!
Himalaya Currents Inc. has been established to support sustainable energy and water projects in remote Himalayan villages. We currently have several projects on going which involve power generation projects using hydro kinetic energy from streams , wind and solar sources. We cooperate with partners like the World Wildlife Fund, Freunde of Nepal, Schulverein Lo-Manthang, Dolpo Tulku Charitable Foundation, Tapriza Foundation and One Heart World-Wide to bring green technology solutions to this fragile environment.
Spring 2017 Projects for Dolpa
- Install small wind turbine at Komas and add gel battery to existing system there so they can charge the laptops and LED projector they now have.
- Distribute Laptops and LED projectors and (2) Sat. phones
- Bring a school coordinator volunteer to Karang for 2 weeks to help the new Director Pema Gojor get the school running, our volunteer has experience with schools in Guatemala and Ethiopia.
- Upgrade Tinje system with new battery bank, solar panels and wind turbine charge controller and transfer old system to new health clinic being built next to school. This is the Nepal 3.0 Project!
- Evaluate and possibly update Ringmo in stream system, check on new prayer wheel construction and painting
- Pugmo check on power transmission project, replacing wooden poles with steel.
- Lastly install small solar power unit for the Mukot (Tiling) primary school near Karang.
- Visit and support the Ku School with computers and AV equipment.